Funicular railway project at Haji Malang Gad shrine.
- Additional fund of Rs 5 for long pending Funicular railway project has been sanctioned.
- The Haji Malang Gad hill is being cut to make way for the 1.2 km two way ropeway.
- The construction of funicular will give relief to devotees especially senior citizens who have to walk up to four kilometres to reach shrine near Kalyan.
- Area under cultivation for major winter (rabi) crops, such as wheat and gram, has seen a dramatic rise in Maharashtra
- Rabi gram has been sown over 19.6 lakh hectares, the highest since 2014-15.
- Rabi wheat has been sown over 8.61 lakh hectares — the largest area sown under the crop since 2017-18.
Coronavirus- Emergency in China
- Coronavirus is an umbrella term for viruses that cause illness ranging from common cold to diseases such as the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
- Spread from consumption of seafood, is now starting to spread from human to human as well. This can happen when an uninfected person comes into contact with the secretions of an infected person — such as via sneezing, handshake or cough.
- Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
Boris Johnson signs agreement for Britain to leave EU
- Britain to end its decades-long membership of the European Union and leave its closest neighbours and trading partners after several years of domestic acrimony and delays.
- withdrawal agreement provides for an 11-month transition period until the end of the year.
Nepal has invited the Prime Ministers of India and Pakistan for the Sagarmatha Sambaad
- Nepal has invited the Prime Ministers of India and Pakistan along with several other heads of government and heads of state for the Sagarmatha Sambaad
- The Sambaad (dialogue) is named after the world’s tallest mountain Sagarmatha (Mount Everest) which is also a symbol of friendship and is meant to promote the notions of common good and collective well-being of humanity.
- Topic will be Climate Change, Mountains, and the Future of Humanity
Brazil President Jair Messias Bolsonaro to be India’s Republic Day 2020 chief guest.
- Bolsonaro will be the chief guest at India’s 71st Republic Day Parade on January 26.
- It will be the third time that a Brazilian President will be the chief guest at the Republic Day.
- India and Brazil are members of several multilateral fora, such as BRICS, IBSA, G-20 and G-4.
- Bilateral trade between the two countries amounted to $8.2 billion in 2018-19, which included $3.8 billion worth of Indian exports to Brazil and $4.4 billion as imports by India.
Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar for disaster management anounced.
- The Disaster Mitigation and Management Centre in Uttarakhand and former IPS officer K.M. Singh awarded Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar for disaster management.
- DMMC has been selected in the institution category and will be given a certificate and a cash prize of ₹51 lakh, Mr. Singh has been selected for the individual category and will be given ₹5 lakh along with a certificate.
Ganga Sagar Mela in West Bengal
- Ganga Sagar Snan also known as Ganga Sagar Mela is the largest fair celebrated in the state of West Bengal on the occasion of Makar Sankranti. A dip in the ocean, where the Ganga drains into the sea is considered to be of great religious significance particularly on the Makara Sankranti day when the sun makes a transition to Capricorn from Sagittarius and this town becomes home to vast fairs, drawing visitors and recluses from all over the state.
India tested its nuclear capable K-4 submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM).
- designed to have a strike range of 3,500 km
- The solid-fuelled K-4 missile is being developed by DRDO to arm the country’s nuclear-powered submarines i.e. INS Arihant.
- The K-4 missiles are to be followed by the K-5 and K-6 missiles in the 5,000-6,000 km range class.
India to Chair the Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA) for the year 2020.
- Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora on Friday took over as the new Chair of Forum of the Election Management Bodies of South Asia (FEMBoSA).
- FEMBoSA was established at the 3rd Conference of Heads of Election Management Bodies of SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) countries in 2012.
India ranked 80 in the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI-2019)
- India’s ranking in the Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI-2019) has slipped from 78 to 80 compared to the previous year.
- Denmark and New Zealand held top spot again in CPI 2019.
- Somaliya was ranked 180 at bottom.